amazon

Saturday, January 5, 2008

What is your sleep number?

So finally after a year and a half, we are using the paint that we purchased at Home Depot to do the boys upstairs bathroom. Christy also bought some in-expensive wood floor looking vinyl stick on tiles that we can update the bathroom floor with. I finally was able to caulk for I think the first time in my life as I re-did the caulking around the shower and tub. We are still working on the floor and we need to put up a duckie wall paper border, but we have at least painted most of it. Being an adult has its perks...I used to dread doing home projects when I was a kid...but now I rather enjoy it. Kinda funny how lots of tastes change the older we get. Even things I didn't think were fun to learn about have become interesting to me.

We had a great Christmas and it was fun to stay at home and have the boys come downstairs and open up gifts. I think that the boys were on present overload (mostly Carter because Bryce is too young to yet know what is going on). But after he opened gifts here from Christy and I and his Aunt's, Uncles, Cousins and Idaho Grandparents, then we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house where he got more gifts, and there was still one gift that Christy and I had bought as a joint gift for him and Bryce that he didn't open before we went over to the grandparents house, and when we came home to open it, he didn't seem all too excited. Makes me think we are really spoiling our children. But then I think that he will have these toys for years and they will replace other toys (hopefully).

We have been trying out a sleep number bed and after getting our 30 days extended for another 30, it is time to return it. It was a nice enough bed, just too expensive and I don't feel that the marginal gain of a good nights sleep on a new sleep number bed is enough to justify spending more than for a new mattress. So there was some frustration dealing with the return of the sleep number bed, but after spending some money on the return shipping, we are resolved. Now thats something to sleep good to.

We went Christmas caroling on Christmas eve at a retirement/nursing home. I remember being scared of old people (I don't know if that's the best way to refer to them (and again the "them" as if they are different than us)). Christy did a great job in prepping him for what it would be like and how they were lonesome and how he could color pictures to give them. Well Christy's sister ended up bringing lots of drawings or homemade Christmas cards and I was proud of Carter how he went up to people and handed them a card and would say "merry Christmas." It was inspiring to see how their eyes light up when they see the children or how they would long for them to touch them, give them a hug, or even a high five. How that must be to see a whole lifetime and future ahead of a child as you are looking back from the very end of yours.

We only had one snow so far this winter season. Carter, Bryce and Christy took advantage though.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

I am glad I checked your Blog. I have been telling Brittanie that when we graduate, we need to check out a sleep number bed. I think we will probably pass, based on your post. I agree with everything you said about toys for kids on Christmas. After a while, they just loose their excitement for opening things. I started thinking...man, I am going to take that back, and rewrap it for your birthday!

Brady said...

We actually ended up getting a king size simmons beauty rest mattress just two weeks ago (We've been on a queen). It was about $600 less than the king size sleep number bed and I love the bed. I let Christy pick it out based on her back, because mine is generally good and hers is the one that hurts. I don't know if its the king size that I love or the mattress...but it's nice to sleep on. I know I used to toss and turn quite a bit, even with the sleep number bed, but on this one, I'll wake up at like 4 or 5 and still be in the same position I've fallen asleep in! I've never done that before.