amazon

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Today Attitude Matters



One thing I really like about my new job is the fact that they pick a business related book for everyone to read and then they discuss it one afternoon six weeks later. This is the first book I've had the opportunity to read titled "Today Matters" by John Maxwell. Overall it has been an inspirational book and one that leaves you wanting to improve your life.

The book isn't only geared toward "business" people, but for all people. It basically covers 12 areas of focus for readers to improve on daily in order to achieve success. Of the 12 areas, 4 have really struck me as significant in my life, areas where I feel I can improve on the most in order to live a more successful life.

Attitude. I remember my dad speaking to me once when I was still in grade school, I had been sent to my room for something I did that apparently was a display of bad attitude. He came in after some moments of reflection and asked me if I knew what attitude was. I think my response was that it was how we act. He then mentioned to me that attitude was one thing that we could always choose, no matter what was going on around us. We could choose our attitude. I wonder if he even remembers that conversation, but I sure did. This book really hits it home with how having a positive attitude can not only improve your life but others that come in contact with you.

Some of the things he mentions are "When you spend time with others do they walk away feeling better or worse? Do you clear the air, giving them a fresh perspective and positive encouragement? Or do they go away feeling gloomy? Watch how people respond to you, and you''ll know which kind of person you are.
Looking for the positive in every situation helps you see opportunities that you would otherwise miss. Being positive with people prompts them to be positive with you-and individuals who interact well with others have a leg up on people who don't.
Many people in this world mistakenly believe their attitude is set...But that's not true. Your attitude is a choice. If it's not good now, you need to change it, here's how...If you desire to change yourself, then start with your mind. Believe that you can improve, that you can change into the person you desire to be. "

He further mentions how to accomplish this, by being appreciative and grateful for the little things instead of always finding something to complain about. If attitude is an area we really want to change then we need to work at it. Make a conscious effort to start out the day having a positive attitude. For myself, it is hardest when I am tired (which is another of his 12 areas, being healthy, but not one of the four I feel has impacted me the greatest). Other things he mentions are finding someone positive in every situation, "draft" off of them the way racers do and help each other stay positive. Say something positive in every conversation. Remove negative words from your vocabulary. Doing these things will help train our minds to think more positive.



The remaining 3 areas I will have to write about later are priorities, thinking, and growth.

1 comment:

Carl D. said...

That was the stupidest most retarted blog I have ever read. I have just wasted 3 minutes of my life that I will never get back having read this piece of crap. Just kidding. I had to do the opposite of what the book you read teaches. I use to think that I had a good attitude about things, but I sometimes find myself having a poor attitude. I think that to some people, a positive attitude comes naturally. It seems that we tend to focus on the negative in this world. Just watch the nightly news for good examples of that. I look forward to your thoughts on the other 3 topics. Thanks for the great blog. Later bro.! Carl