amazon

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Embarrassing Dating 101

I remember my cousins teasing me once when I was younger and I said something mean to tease them back. They continued to tease me until I got mad/hurt and started to cry. My dad heard me and called me over to tell me that if I am going to dish it out then I have to be able to take it. To me feeling embarrassed is similar. If I'm going to put myself in a situation to cause myself to feel embarrassed, then I have to take it.

I've felt embarrassed at various times in my life. I guess that's saying that I've allowed myself to get into situations where embarrassment is inevitable. This one has to be the worst embarrassing moment I've had and the hardest humble pill to swallow. Here we go...

I attended Ricks College before my mission back in the summer of 96. I was a freshman and thought it would be a good idea to take a dance class, so I did. I danced with a girl a few times during the course of the semester. All I knew was her first name. And that was all I needed at the time for my shy teenage hormones to devise a plan to ask her out to the up coming dance without having to do it in person.

I put it off until a week or less before the dance. I still didn't have the courage to do it on our last day of class before the weekend dance. So now I had to call her, but I didn't have her number. Ricks college had a nice system in place where one could look up fellow classmates class schedules, addresses and phone numbers by either typing in their first or last name. All I had was a first name, so I methodically went through the list of 100 Amy's to find the one that was in my dance class thus giving me her number. I found only one on the list whose schedule matched mine and guess what, there was no number listed on her schedule. But now I had a last name to go with, so I simply called the school operator and told them the first and last name and they gave me a phone number.

I was running out of time and I knew I needed to ask soon. So I mustered up enough courage to call figuring that she'd already had been asked to the dance by some other guy by now, but figured it was still worth a shot. After all, I had worked hard to find out her number, so I called her.

I was very nervous when she answered the phone, my heart was about to beat out of my chest and kept crawling up my throat blocking my words. I told her I was Brady from her dance class and asked if she knew who I was. I mentioned that I was the tall one (I am about 6'5") and she said that she thought she knew me. I asked her if she would like to go to the dance and to my surprise, she said yes!!! I then got her address to come by and drop off her matching shirt (it was a matching shirt dance). I hung up the phone feeling on top of the world!

Somehow in the next day I managed to brag to everyone that I had ever talked to in my life, that I was going to the dance with the hottest girl (My wife is so much prettier and I'm glad my realationship with Amy didn't last long or else I wouldn't have met such a high caliber of woman as my wife!) I wish I hadn't told everyone, because when I went to her apartment to drop off the shirt, one of her roomates answered the door and I said, "Hi , Is Amy here?", (two other roomates were on the couch giggling at me), the roomate who answered replies with a confused look, "I'm Amy!" To which I hurridly say "Um, here's your shirt, I'll pick you up tomorrow at 5! Bye!" and I hightail it out of there. Not the Amy I was expecting to see.

So I get to my apartment that night and she calls, tells me she thinks I have the wrong Amy. I lie and say I was nervous. She calls my bluff and says "No, I think you meant to ask someone else out." I finally decide to come clean and tell the truth. The truth shall set you free right?! What they should say is the truth shall set you free after you pay any due consequences. We'll I tell the truth that I did think I was asking out another Amy. She gets defensive and says, well, you can find the other Amy and ask her out then! I (feeling so humiliated at this point) tell her that it doesn't matter who I go to the dance with I just want to go and that I would like it if she would like to go with me still.

She does and long story short, it was the most akward date of my life! Lesson learned. No wait it wasn't...I called my wife to ask her out on our first date. But for those of you still dating, ask girls out face to face when possible. And if calling them to ask them out, make sure you have the correct number. So now that I just dished it out, feel free to post your embarrassing moments. I can take it.

4 comments:

Carl D. said...

Nice story. I think that you made mistakes like that with other girls so that when you finally met the one, you would not screw it up. I was pretty lucky to find Andrea early on and I didn't have to go through the dating game after the mission. I enjoyed the good laugh at your expense though, thanks!

urpy said...

Oh, Brady, that is a priceless story! Very, very funny!

Anonymous said...

Sexcams

Sexcam Erotik

Private Webcams

Anonymous said...

in a recent survey 90% said most dating sites could offer better protection against scammers