amazon

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Capital Crescent Trail

There have been no signs of snakes since my last post. I still check above my head and at my feet when I enter the laundry room. I need to stop that bad habit.

I went on a bike ride with my boys yesterday morning. It was a beautiful Saturday morning and we were going to put the bike trailer that Christy bought at a yard sale to good use, since we've had it for over 2 months and hadn't really used it yet. She is such a great bargain hunter and found this bike trailer that I imagine would retail for $150 + for about $30. It's an awesome little trailer and I pulled both boys along a trail called the capital crescent trail. The trail is paved and pretty wide and goes all the way into Washington D.C.'s Georgetown.

We started at mile 3.5 on the trail in Bethesda. There were a lot of people out yesterday running, biking, jogging, rollerblading, or walking along the trail. We rode under a canopy of trees for part of the way, under a tunnel, over various bridges and roads, until we came along side the C&O canal and the Potomac river, which ran on for a few miles near the end of the trail. The map of the trail on the web showed it heading downhill from Bethesda and after traveling for about 20 minutes or so, I was surprised to see a mile marker that was much higher than I though we had traveled. Christy thought our ride would only last for about 1/2 hour before the boys were ready to get out of the trailer. They were troopers and did awesome. We ended up all the way in D.C. in a total of 50 minutes about 7+ miles from where we started.

Carter was excited we made it to D.C. because I was telling him about it the night before and the day of, how we would be able to see a river and lots of buildings if he and Bryce could stand being in the trailer for a longer time. Christy initially thought that the boys would only last half an hour, which I guess if I'd really thought about it, I'd have guessed the same, but the goal in my head was to make it to D.C. so I had to sell my point to my boys. When we reached D.C. we headed underneath a long street that was shaded by the road above us. It was almost like riding under a tunnel and Bryce asked me if I was scared. I told him I wasn't and we kept riding, though I was cautious to make sure I was riding where other people were around.

We were enjoying the scenery, there was a couple of rowing teams practicing out on the Potomac, helicopters flying overhead, boats out on the water, etc... when I realized that I had to be back at the car by 12:30 at the latest to be home by 1:00. We had a baptism to go to and couldn't be late as we each had a part in the program. It was then I got a little panicked because I knew the boys had been in the trailer for about an hour and the ride back would be longer because it was uphill and I was tired from already riding. It was almost 11:30 and I told the boys to get out for a quick little bit and stretch their legs. Then we hurried and took off on our way back. It was more difficult heading uphill but I was pleased with the pace I was keeping as I was very aware of the mile markers on the way back and kept looking at my watch as we passed them. I was maintaining about a 6 or 7 minute mile heading back and had about 7+ miles to go.

I figure all in all I rode about 14+ miles in about 2 hours, pulling two 40lb boys, 4 bags of fruit snacks, three water bottles, some cheese blocks, sheepie, potato chips, and who knows what other snacks the boys brought with them. Part of the excitement for them to go on a bike ride was the opportunity to pack and eat two snacks of their choice. They each chose two fruit snack packets, but when we stopped to pick up the bike and trailer that morning at their grandparent's house, I think they acquired a few more snacks. They must've been tired regardless of not being able to run around because Bryce fell asleep the last mile and slept all the way home. I was so proud of them for basically letting me ride my bike for such a long time that I wanted to show them by getting them a little treat on the way home. I stopped at McDonalds and got them each a sundae off the dollar menu. Christy pointed out to me later that they had nothing but sugar the entire day and here I was giving them more sugar as a treat. I realized that I was oblivious to that fact and didn't really think of it that way. Good thing for a great mother to keep them fed healthy. But in my defense, I wanted to go on a longer ride, not only for myself, but to give Christy a longer break on a Saturday morning that she deserves for really taking a beating during the week.

3 comments:

Three Men and a Lady (plus a baby) said...

I'm so glad you guys had fun and had such a great ride for so long. You guys will have to do that more often and hopefully I can join you all soon! Oh, and to make it even more impressive, the bike trailer retails for over 200.00. :)

Carl D. said...

That sounded like an awesome trip. Too bad you had to be back so soon and couldn't enjoy DC more. I havn't been riding since my last post. I have been feeling guilty about leaving in the evening and leaving Andrea to take care of the girls. I am such a loser. Good job on your ride.

Reid said...

I'm catching up on your blog for the first time in months. It's good to read about you and your family and to hear you're doing well. If I get out to the DC area anytime soon, I'll give you a holler--we need to catch up and drink a cold Malta. :-)