amazon

Monday, August 20, 2007

Those Hazy Lazy Crazy Days of Summer

So my 3 year old son and I went "camping" this last Friday. We missed our wards annual father and son camp-out this year so we made up for it on Friday. We went over to my in-laws house who were out of town for the weekend and we pitched a tent in their backyard and made a fire in their portable fire pit to roast hot dogs and marshmallows in. It was camping with modern conveniences. Anything but roughing it. And I used to enjoy the roughing it factor, but the older I get, the more I like the convenience camping. We made ourselves at home and went inside to watch a movie before we went out to sleep in the tent. I thought I'd be nice and let him stay up really late watching a fun Disney movie, and a benefit on the side for me would be that he would be so tired that he would sleep in the next morning (didn't happen, he was still up by 7:30). The only Disney DVD they had that was Peter Pan and I thought it would be a fun film, non-violent, older Disney movie that he would enjoy. He did enjoy it all right, but I was shocked at some of the content! Peter Pan fighting Captain hook, threatening to feed the rest of him to the crocodile, the lost boys fighting all of the time and calling each other names, the pirates and how Captain hook was always calling Smee an idiot, the way everyone picked on poor Wendy including the mermaids, how Peter Pan was kind of a pimp with all of the ladies who were trying to get near him, Wendy, the mermaids, Princess Tiger Lily, and Tinkerbell! He meanwhile is aloof of the whole thing and is simply being a kid. What kind of kid is he anyway with pointed ears?! The lost boys don't have pointed ears. And he's always playing a flute? More like a Nymph or Tinkerbell's older brother because he falls in the elfish phylum, class, and order. (I remembered something from high school science) Anyways, Carter seemed to really enjoy the movie, so much so that after we went out to the tent to sleep at 11:30 he was so wound up he wanted to play with the glow-sticks we had brought. So we did for about 10 minutes, then he asked me about bears for the 15th time that night if bears would get us. I once again reassured him there weren't any bears where we were at and to not worry because I wouldn't let anything get him and to just relax and listen to "natures music" in the trees. He didn't know what nature's music was so I tried to explain it is the sounds of the insects singing to us all night long from the trees. They were actually rather loud, but it was fun to be "out with nature", a full 30 yards from the front door of the house. All in all a great time and a fun weekend. I give outdoor camping 4 out of 4 stars and Peter Pan 2 out of 4 stars.

No comments: